Did you know 62% of employees are using generative artificial intelligence (AI) tools like ChatGPT? It’s catching on in human resources, too — one in fourHR leaders say their teams are using generative AI and 72% anticipate adopting it soon. Whether you’re using it daily or just testing the waters, understanding how your HR team can leverage AI and current AI in HR best practices are skills that become more valuable by the minute.
Keep reading to learn more about how to use ChatGPT in your HR processes and what to look for in HR-specific AI tools.
🤖A vast majority of HR leaders say their teams are using AI —or will be in the near future. Learn how to unlock the potential of ChatGPT and other AI tools to streamline recruitment, enhance employee engagement, and ensure compliance.
The Benefits of ChatGPT for HR
ChatGPT is a generative AI tool that uses natural language processing to produce new materials (anything from text to images to music) from the data it’s fed. It can create these new materials nearly instantly, which has huge implications for efficiency and productivity in nearly every business department including HR. ChatGPT can assist with completing repetitive tasks faster so teams can focus on more strategic activities.
The research shows solid evidence of the benefits of AI in HR.ChatGPT drives an estimated 30% increase in efficiency for HR professionals who are putting it to use, and Harvard Business Review found that it led to 25% faster task completion while increasing quality by 40%. Between its proven efficacy, the ever-growing user base, and predictions for its future, it’s clear ChatGPT isn’t going anywhere.
20 Examples of Use Cases for ChatGPT in HR
AI for recruiting is one of the most common ways HR is currently using the technology, but there are countless ways you can leverage ChatGPT and other AI-powered tools in your HR processes. It’s important to remember that no matter how useful you find AI, a vast majority of HR activities still require a human touch. AI should supplement your efforts rather than control them.
Here are just a handful of examples of how the technology can streamline and improve your processes.
Recruiting and Onboarding
- Writing Job Descriptions: Writing consistent, thorough job descriptions that avoid using jargon or gendered language is no easy task. An AI assistant (especially one that’s built into your applicant tracking system (ATS)) can help you create and edit job descriptions in a fraction of the time.
- Engaging Applicants: Chatbots provide consistent, helpful interactions without requiring your team’s time. Add a chatbot to your career site to engage applicants. Chatbots can direct job seekers to suitable job descriptions, answer questions about the application process, and provide information about company culture.
- Resume Screening: No human can parse resumes and identify potential candidates faster than AI. AI’s advanced algorithms swiftly analyze resumes, identifying and matching candidates’ key qualifications with job requirements. Your team benefits from a more accurate and objective shortlisting process that ensures the most qualified candidates move forward in the recruitment journey.
- Automated Interview Scheduling: AI tools can eliminate the back-and-forth of interview scheduling. Generate an automated link to send with your outreach emails so you can complete screenings faster — and hire great candidates faster, too.
- Creating Interview Questions: ChatGPT can help you brainstorm and compose interview questions that align with your company values and the goals of the role you’re hiring for. Be sure to review questions for fairness and accuracy, and ensure you’re asking candidates for the same roles the same set of questions.
- Candidate Communication: We’ve all spent far too long composing the perfect email — especially recruiters whose goal is to provide a personalized candidate experience. Just like it can assist with writing job descriptions, an AI assistant can help you put together the perfect candidate email. Write messages faster than ever without sacrificing the personal touch that helps you win top talent.
- Engaging Passive Talent: Take the manual work out of talent outreach and engage passive talent pools with automated email drip campaigns. You set your audience, message sequence, text and email delivery method, and schedule. AI does the rest, teeing up appropriate follow-up messages, taking action based on the recipient’s behavior, and saving recruiters time.
- Composing Offer Letters: Write and send error-free, compelling, branded job offers quickly with the help of an AI assistant. Maintain your personalized recruiting approach and get offers sent to top candidates faster than your competition.
- Custom Onboarding Plans: Use AI to put together personalized onboarding plans for your new hires according to your preferences and the employee’s role and skill level. The technology can create a list of to-dos and a schedule for your team and for the incoming employee, streamlining the entire onboarding process.
Employee Engagement and Performance Management
- Career Development and Training Recommendations: ChatGPT can create personalized career paths and training programs for your employees based on their experience level, skill set, and career goals.
- Recognition Programs: Use AI tools to track your employees’ accomplishments and milestones. The technology can make announcements and facilitate peer recognition, making it easy for you to recognize and reward great work and important days.
- Employee Surveys: Create, send, and analyze surveys with the help of ChatGPT and other AI tools. AI makes it easy to compose your questions and draw conclusions from the results.
- Giving Feedback: Help managers put together useful feedback for their team members based on their past performance and accomplishments. Even hiring managers can utilize AI to quickly compose rejection emails and give feedback to candidates who aren’t selected.
- Answering Questions: Chatbots can answer your employees’ FAQs regarding policies, benefits, and other topics quickly, saving time for HR and for the employees looking for answers.
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAP): Make it easier for your people to get support when they need it. ChatGPT can give employees quick, anonymous access to your company’s EAP resources.
- Conflict Resolution: Utilize ChatGPT when you’re dealing with a conflict. The AI tool can provide impartial advice and suggest ways to resolve the disagreement.
- Leave Management: AI tools can simplify time off requests from employees, processing their requested leave and sending them an update on their remaining vacation and/or sick time.
- Compliance Checks: Run your documents through ChatGPT to ensure they’re in line with laws and your own company policies.
- Employee Handbook Updates: Use generative AI to make quick updates or draft new sections of your employee handbook.
- HR Analytics Insights: You can evaluate your employee data with AI to quickly see trends in performance, turnover, recruiting, diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB), and more.
Finding AI-Assisted Solutions for Your HR Team
ChatGPT is far from the only AI tool around —in today’s market, specialized solutions are everywhere. If you’re looking for an AI solution for your HR team, here are a few questions to consider during your search:
- Do I need the AI tool to solve an immediate problem, or am I planning for a future use case?
- Does the software provider understand responsible AI use and/or follow a code of ethics for AI development?
- What are the software provider’s plans for the development of its AI solution? Should I expect new capabilities regularly, and if so, what are they?
There’s much more that goes into your search for the best AI HR solution, but defining your use cases and looking for a provider that is developing their technology responsibly is a good place to start. Before you know it, you’ll be able to put AI to work enhancing your team’s capabilities and improving the employee experience as a whole.
If you’re new to AI or just want to try out one of the most common use cases for ChatGPT in HR, you’re in the right place. ClearCompany’s AI-Assisted Job Description Generator can help you compose a job description for your industry that matches the tone of your employer brand.